Followers

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A very desperate need in the world


If I win the lottery tomorrow I am pulling a Diane Keaton in Baby Boom (1987). I swear- there is no good baby / kids food. Chefs, if you read this, please (!) as a parent and fellow foodie I appeal to you- re-vamp your kids menus if they consist of just pasta and chicken fingers. Nothing is more of a downer to a parent. Add real deal meatloaf, cheese and veggie omelets, and if must be pasta- make it pasta primavera!

Or, put on what I served Little Man tonight: savory crepes.

Everyone thinks of crepes as a Parisian dessert, but there is an entirely different category to the medium where you can add savory fillings. Tonight I served the crepe with asparagus and sauteed mushrooms and cheese- lots of Parmesan. Drizzled some truffle oil and it was golden. Cheese is the key with these non-pasta, non fried foods. It reels the kid in and gets him chomping.

I swear. If I get my 50 million I'm going to buy a small warehouse, open long term contracts with local growers (and Southern growers in warm weather states who work organically and sustainably), install a high powered catering level kitchen, hire my Mom (books) and 3 employees, buy a shitload of small bottles, buy a ton of labels, fill out the necessary FDA forms, and open Troy's Baby Food.

There 's no competition. And a huge, country wide need.

If you are hugely capitalized and can move now, feel free to trump me.

On a side note:

Tonight's wine: Owen Roe Cabernet Franc Slide Mountain Vineyard 2005...If I told you this was a modernist Chinon producer in a hot vintage like 2005 you would probably completely agree. Almost no perceptible trace of West Coast super fruit. Alcohol is totally integrated and the fruit is that classic Cab Franc wild black black raspberry. Some bramble and blackberry as well. Bursting fruit, but all within the guise of a very woodsy, very Chinon, style. Recommended.

1 comment:

Cliff Batuello said...

When our first boy was born we had the same frustration. My wife is a great cook, so she would puree a small portion of all of our meals and put them in small plastic containers. It was pablum for Tom and enabled him to develop a palate for what WE were eating (and he would be). She tried to start a company for the project, had labels designed, and endeavored to get various items in the Union Square Farmers' Market. Since she couldn't prove ALL the food was locally grown she wasn't allowed to join. A shame, "Tommy's Mommy" would have been well received.