Followers

Friday, June 13, 2008

One of my bibles


It's probably about time that I gave 'props' to one of my bibles...

Setting The Table, by Danny Meyer, is a reference-able work for me. I read it constantly- always going back to sections for insight into business, creative ideas, and general keys to success. It goes without saying that if you haven't gone to Manhattan and eaten at one of Meyer's restaurants- GO!

I've gone several times and have eaten at Union Square, The Modern, Grammercy and Eleven Madison. Each meal was fantastic. But, what always shocks me is their level of execution. Meyer believes and preaches a philosophy called Enlightened Hospitality. I'm not going to get into it, but it's the key to their execution at such a high level, at all restaurants, all of the time. I find it amazing.

And it goes without saying that Meyer and his restaurants definitively practice The Culture of the Table.

1 comment:

Cliff Batuello said...

Danny is not perfect (though pretty damn close). I remember the managers meeting when I offered up the idea of installing an awning out the front of GT for all of our Euro customers who could not go through a meal without lighting up. His were the first "no Smoking" restaurants in NYC. His response was quick and unprintable.
But Danny has an eye for detail that I've never seen in anyone else - he'd point out you misspelled Gramercy.