Followers

Thursday, June 26, 2008

My dear friend and mentor: Betty Franey

The greatest pure COTT moments happen with important family members.

I will never forget standing over my kitchen sink next to my father when I was like 13-14. He had driven me home (probably from football practice). It was August. And he had stopped by a local farm stand and picked up these huge bursting ripe tomatoes. We went home. He took out a knife. Sliced two tomatoes in half, shook some salt then pepper over each open half, gave one to me, and then we gorged on them while leaning over the sink. The juices dripped down my mouth and chin, and I'll never forget the explosion of pure flavor that I tasted in those tomato halves. It would only have been mildly important if he wasn't there showing me this.

I'll also never forget that first weekend at my then girlfriend's (now wife's) grandmother's home in East Hampton. A lasagna that I had to have three helpings of. It was too good. The next night, a perfectly roasted chicken that was too die for. Perfectly caramelized outside. Perfectly succulent inside. And seasoning that was exquisite. The wine was Macon. It was pure, steely, apples..and it was perfect. And it was this moment that solidified my tract toward the food and wine business.

It's funny how I hear stories regarding Culture of the Table Moments, and the company is maybe sometimes played out in the background- with the food and wine taking center stage. I think the best COTT moments require the opposite. It is the people at the table, the people who cook with you, the people who share that glass with you that truly make the moment. Without them there is no sharing, no giving...and the moment is somehow less.

I lost a dear friend and family member yesterday. She was a mentor. She was a standard bearer for excellence in all things- both in and out of the kitchen. Looking back on this whole Culture of the Table philosophy I embrace, well, she discovered and practice it long before me. I will miss her very much and will take comfort that she will be with me in spirit for every meal, for every glass, and for every setting of the table.

And I will never forget her roast chicken.

1 comment:

Cliff Batuello said...

Just heard about your blog, and Bette's passing. Nice piece, Christian. My condolences to you and your wife. Now I need to call Jacques.

By the way, was this coming, or a surprise?