Followers

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

God is in the details


There is a widely published endilible link between music and fashion, and I think there is also an endilible link between fashion, design, music, and food and wine.

The place matters. The setting matters. The aura- the music- it matters. I think back to my truly profound dining experiences and there was a soundtrack that raised the dining level to profound. I remember the flowers, the lighting, the feeling of energy in the room...even if it was just The Modern for a Sunday lunch (one of my great recent dining experiences).

When I grew up my father would play LPs of Bach, Brahms, Handel, etc...during dinner and I truly believe this grounded me in the appreciation of dining (even though I'm sure he never intended for this).

For me, I will always return to classic Baroque for dinner. It's timeless, and per above has a very important emotional connection for me with the table. But, I love my blues. I love my jazz- my Coltrane and Davis. And here, while writing this I find myself listening to live Coldplay...and seeing this being an excellent soundtrack to a glass of rose at The Modern bar.

Trump's Trump. But he once remarked, "God is in the details." In that he is spot on.

No comments: