Followers

Monday, September 8, 2008

Upstate Report Card


I just returned from a week of vacation in upstate New York. Absolutely beautiful place- specifically Lake George which if you're a fan of Caribbean quality swimming water- then you should head there.

I want to highlight two really wonderful establishments if you happen to make you're way up to Northern New York. First is Davidson's Brew Pub in Glens Falls (a small city at the base of the Adirondacks). At first you may walk up and not think much of this local pub. A burger joint that makes a couple of beers. But, trust me- order the sampler. I never got the front of the house guy's name but he made it very clear that these people are deeply passionate about beer. Their smoked Porter was simply twisted. I know, I know...but I just get all giddy when I see passionate craftsmanship like this.

The second place is the Mirror Lake Inn off Mirror Lake in Lake Placid. Solid wine program, but top notch food all around. Moreover they just care. The whole 'estate' was well done, and more importantly it left a lasting impression because although they were an upper tier hotel/spa/restaurant, their price ($275 night+breakfast) was a super value in comparison to the quality and the quality/price against the peer establishments at this level ($500+ night).

Here's where I want to give a big 'thank you' to the folks at home on the South Fork of Long Island, and I also want to question the North Country folks up in upstate NY. Making great food is all about caring. Taking the time to do the little things. Taking the time to make your own stocks and pastas, to source local produce and food goods, and think seasonally regarding your menus. And serving great wine takes zero work at all. It's simply picking the right suppliers, doing a little reading, and trusting those suppliers to send you really great juice. Overall, the North Country gets a 'B' for food, and gets a 'C to C-' for vino.

Hey maybe I went to wrong restaurants, maybe I went to the wrong shops, but pound for pound when you go out to eat (or walk into a shop inthe South Fork) you just eat and drink better. So, thank you- South Fork. And North Country NY, some wine distributors that will instantaneously make your wine programs better:

Rosenthal
Polaner (note: my own company)
Skurnik
Vias
Chadderdon
Pas Mal
Winebow (Kermit Lynch)

1 comment:

Christian Troy said...

Quick edit- last sentence is directed to North Country- not North Fork. My mistake.
-Christian