Followers

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Building the cellar


I am a fan of reading the old timer's chronicles about life in the wine business. Kermit. Rosenthal. Both have written great books about the way it was back then. The availability and pricing way back then of some of the wines that we now covet is astounding. But, more importantly is reading about that sense of discovery- it's like wine treasure hunting.

I went down into my cellar last night to grab a bottle of Bourgogne Rouge for dinner, and my mind turned to investment. Where does one invest now if you want to buy these treasures before they are discovered (ie, priced out of reach)?

Here's where I'm headed...

Loire Cabernet Franc...The best single vineyard Chinons and Bourgeuils are like $50bt retail- the best of them. Even with the currency situation, these wines are still screaming deals relative to their Right Bank Bordeaux cousins. I'm sticking to the classics: Joguet, Baudry, Breton, and Clos Roche Blanche.

Loire whites
...I should write that I am actively buying white Burgundy (and red), but I'm picking and chosing my battles there. It is a place I simply can't afford overall. But, like the reds above, I can afford white Loires. The best Chenins (minus Joly's wines) are still incredibly underpriced and equally as impressive as great white Burgs. I like Closel, Pepiere, Cotat, Chidaine, and Huet.

Cornas
...I think it's always been the super sleeper in the Rhone. Everyone knows of Auguste Clape and his work, and those wines are amazing. Many say Thierry Allemand is truly the guy down in Cornas. I like both, but can't afford both. Currently I'm a huge fan of Paris. I do represent him, but I love the purity in the tannins, and the guy can bring out rock in a wine like no one's business.

Chablis
...There might be no better value on the planet except for Chablis. Vieilles Vignes bottlings and Premier Crus are some of best deals out there. I bought wine from 2006 for my son, and I plan on buying more as I go. You just drink in the value- and the wines only get better with time.

Single Vineyard Barbera
...With all the hype about 2004, I feel like I'm on the sidelines in Piedmont this year. No cashola for the vinos. Maybe some Produttori de Barbarescos? But, single vineyard Barberas...There's value there I tell you. And if you're patient and let them age...they drink as good, if not better, than most Barolo.

Chianti
...I love Chianti. I think to love it you have to be patient enough to let it age and take on that golden hue. With some time the wine starts to show rounder, softer notes and the nose explodes with all types of other things. Huge fan of Felsina, Cacchiano, and Monsanto.

Germany
....2007, the year of Germany. Not to say the past couple of years should be skipped. The best producers make great wine in every year. And I plan on buying Von Volxem, Busch, Knebel, Donnehoff, Christoffel, Prum, and a number of others in this country.

Bandol...Kermit won me with Tempier. I love the wines. I hate the prices, but I bite for a couple of bottles here and there. Pradeaux peeks my interest. And I'm still looking for my next great Tempier-like producer. Maybe here is where the new treasure hunt begins?

No comments: