Followers

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Great white

I'd like to turn your attention to the white wines of the Southern Rhone in France. Quintessential Summer values in my opinion. Sure we can talk about Chateauneuf du Pape Blanc, but let's not. The super value exists in the excellent Cotes du Rhone Blancs, the Cairanne Blancs, Rasteau Blancs, Lirac Blancs, etc...Here you typically see blends of Marsanne, Roussanne, Viognier, Bouboulenc, Grenache Blanc, Grenache Gris, and/or Clairette. Sometimes a producer tosses additional grapes like Picpoul. The wines (for me) always sing with this white peach and apricot- usually in a dried form. And there's usually a slight peraffin or waxy note that is there; not always, but typically. Under all of this, you usually sees a really strong minerality as well- if the wines are well made.

These wines are fantastic for Summer, specifically with one of my favorite Summer dishes: ratatouille. I'm still using canned tomatoes, but in two weeks my perfect ratatouille will be ready. I eat it hot or cold, but prefer cold with lots of chopped fresh basil in it. And I like it accompanied by a simple piece of herbed sauteed flounder or bass, a good hunk of baguette for mopping.

Some producers to note in value white Southern Rhones:

Janasse Cotes du Rhone
Oratoire St Martin Cairanne Reserve des Seigneurs Blanc
Lafond Lirac Blanc
Trignon Sablet Blanc
Beaucastel Coudoulet de Beaucastel Cotes du Rhones Blanc
Remejeanne Cotes du Rhones Blanc Les Arbousiers
Sainte Cosme Cotes du Rhone Blanc

No comments: