Followers

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

On good glassware...



Glassware matters.

Like, a lot.

This is not to say that every time I sit down at a table I'm expecting the finest Riedel stemware. No. What I'm hoping for is an appropriate glass that accurately accompanies the meal, the setting, and the seriousness of the wines served.

For example, it's 8:30pm after a very long day at work. Rumaging through the fridge and I come up with cornichons, prosciutto, marinated olives, some pate, two different cheeses- all to be served along side half a baguette. The wine might be a cru Beaujolais (Christian Bernard's Grands Fers or Clos du Roilette are good examples). The wine is served slightly chilled. I actually don't want a big, brassy, heavy, important glass. A simple bistro tasting glass is perfect.

For simple Italian pizza I actually don't like a wine glass. For me, mentally traveling with the meal I like a small tumbler . It reminds me of a something you might see at local Tuscan trattoria. The wine might be a Toscano Rosso. But with the simplicity of the food, it just tastes more pure in a non-wine glass.

Now, this is not to say that good glassware is not important. Burgundy is Burgundy. And with Burgundy, it simply tastes better in classic big bowled Burg glasses. It just does...Bordeaux and Napa Cab the same...Bordeaux glasses please.

But, if I had to choose one glass to have and use all the time it would be the classic Burgundy glass. Maker, Spieglau- the tried and true, and for me one of the best values. The Burg glasses aren't cheap, but for me they aerate the wine the best and Burgundy is all about the nose. And well, they just seem to make the wine in the glass feel more important. Jayer Hautes Cote de Nuits in a tumbler or a small tasting glass...it just doesn't work.

No comments: