Followers

Monday, May 17, 2010

Belons


They'll haunt me forever. Yellow-greenish. Earthy. Muddy. Musky. They drink of river bank. Nickel sears the back corner of your mouth for hours. More earth and estuary revolving over and over your tongue. Mushrooms. Intense dark mud.

By all accounts this was the weirdest ocean creatures I've ever eaten. I'm actually not sure I enjoyed eating it.

But, I'm still tasting it and I can stop thinking about the tasting experience.

In his work A Geography of Oysters Rowan Jacobsen writes, "Belons are off-putting and overwhelming, like an anchovy dipped in zinc. Most people can't take them. But if you can take them, you may find that very soon you can't stop taking them. You will be on your way to joining the cadre of Belon addicts."

Not quite sure I'm a Belon addict yet. But, I'm definitely way interested in a really really funky way...

PS- requires wine!

2 comments:

alan@langewinery.com said...

Okay Christian, Looks like I need to acquaint you with our Belfair Oysters here from the Hood Canal off the Puget Sound outside of Seattle.

We have a house out there and will be enjoying them over the Memorial weekend. I will have to get some overnighted to you to get your feedback. We will have to have some of your finest while I'm with you next week.

thanks

alan from Lange winery

Christian Troy said...

Dude, you know I'm all in on that. Will email you the address if you're up for it.

Thanks for coming out East.

CT