Followers

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Christian Troy's Sanity is found in Pommes Chateau Chinon

I found myself in a client's shop today discussing the conditions/trials/tribulations of being a young father. Sleep deprivation was brought up. Management of wife expectations was discussed. The ability to balance work/life pressures was surely at the top of the list. And I...probably like every mid-30s guy with kids...am finding solace in late night solo dinners.

I start work early...it should be 5:30, but with current sleep deprivation its around 7:30. I finish work at around 8. I come home, and the kids are headed up to bed, the house is settling, and somewhere around 9-9:30 I get to cook dinner. I know, physiologically this is an absolutely horrible time to "enjoy" food. I should eat an apple and go to bed, a good nutritionist would say. But then I would not be enjoying life...

Tonight is a classic example. Started work at 8- very late, but was shot from night before. On road all day and finally got home at 8....pm. Came home and immediately spent some time with the family. Hugged my son and read him some books, etc...And then around 9-9:30 as my wife took him upstairs to bed (my wife rocks!) I cooked a classic Bisteca Fiorentina with Pommes Chateau Chinon.

Sat down. Drank a glass of Cab. Nothing amazing, but good. And ate. Solace in the table. And the day is done.


I actually use a modified version of Pommes Cht Chinon. See below:

Take 1 large potato. Peel it. Grate it with a large cheese grater. In small handfulls, take the potato gratings and over a sink, squeeze out the water until the left gratings are relatively dry. Put them all in a mixing bowl. Add some parmesan cheese. Salt. Pepper. Add one egg. And using your hands mix the ingredients together like you were making homemade hamburger patties. Form into small flat patties. You must squeeze them tightly sometimes to get them to stick to form.

Heat a cast iron skillet to high. Add vegetable oil and one pat of butter. Add potato patties you just made. Cook like you are cooking pancakes. Brown on both sides and be sure to cook through but not to burn. When done, transfer to plate lined with paper towel to catch excess oil.


No comments: