Followers

Friday, March 20, 2009

Cobb


Spring is here. Thank God!

This past Winter has been one of the most extraordinary I have ever seen. My wife and I recently remarked that we are living amongst legendary history in our country, and in the world as well. Fear has been dominate in our society. And the cold of Winter has emotionally fueled that fear on a day to day basis. But, with the thawing of Spring everything changes...

In with that in mind I think this Spring will be one of the most poignant in quite sometime. Already, I feel the temperature increasing. I'm aware of the sunlight at 7pm. I found huge excitement in using the outdoor grill for the first time the other night. And I find myself very excited for "Spring"dishes.

Oddly maybe, I found myself jonesing for a really well-made Cobb Salad and a fantastic glass of California Chardonnay.

Those that know me well are probably thinking that I might be on drugs or something, but no, I'm actually genuinely excited for this pairing. White Burgundy? Nope, that won't do- not powerful enough. And so , I've done a little homework on the perfect Cobb Salad and here it is below...My perfect pairing? No brainer...Varner Chardonnay Amphitheater Block 2004 if it can be found....aka- New World Chassagne Boudriotte. If not, I'll take a glass of Walter Hansel Chardonnay North Slope 2006.

Cobb Salad (based on the original recipe from the LA restaurant Brown Derby, created in 1937):

Ingredients:

Boston Lettuce
Chicory
Romaine
Watercress
sliced tomatoes
Homemade bacon bits
sliced sauteed chicken breast
sliced hard boiled eggs
sliced avocado
crumbled maytag blue cheese
finely chopped chives
dressing

Dressing:

In bowl add, small dollop of Dijon mustard, small amount of finely chopped garlic, shot of Worcestershire, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, little bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice, solid amount of red wine vinegar, and maybe a teaspoon of sugar. Whisk until blended. Let stand for a couple of minutes. Then slowly add in a little bit of vegtable oil (1/2 cup) while heavilt whisking. Add in a little bit of olive oil while heavily whicking. Whick in water if need for consistency.

Compose salad on plate. Top with dressing. And serve.

No comments: