Followers

Monday, August 18, 2008

The 50 States of COTT




Yes, I know...my apologies. It's been too long. Frankly, up until this evening nothing has really struck me. My meals have been simple grilled meats and fresh vegetables drizzled with olive oil. The wines have been left over samples- good wines, excellent wines, but I haven't had an ear shattering COTT moment, so I figured I'd wait and right when I had something to say. And now I do...

One of the great legacies my wife's grandfather left was a PBS series (and cookbook) entitled Pierre Franey Cooks with his Friends. It's an excellent work. It combines Thomas Keller like photography and philosophy with Marcella Hazan-like down home cooking. And there's the larger themes- the exploration of French individual appelation cultures which always grabbed me. It's personal. And I personally like when authors open up and share their lives with me; it brings me in that much more.

I know many chefs visit this blog here and there, so for those of you who appear on TV, or plan on appearing on TV- I'd love to see a similar series but with American restaurants and American chefs. That's 50 potential episodes. Imagine the unique content! Surely someone's doing something interesting in South Dakota.

Restaurants I'd love to see (that is if you do decide to shoot it):

French Laundry
Montagna
Per Se
Balthazar
Pluckmann Inn
Alan Wong
Alenia
Charlie Trotter's
Le Bec Fin
The Corn Exchange (in South Dakota)
Alain Ducasse
Daniel
Cru
Del Posto
The Modern
Ko
Le Bernardin
etc...
etc..
...and of course a nice stable of my own restaurant clients out here on Long Island...

It's time. America has the culture, the personalities, the truly regional foods- there's countless stories to be told. We need a program to truly bring American food to the masses in an honest way comme Pierre.

No comments: